Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking to get a new pfd this year as I've been using a regular one and it's sort of annoying when sailing. My local dealer carries Extrasport brand vests and I wondered if people had any thoughts about them?

I was thinking of ponying up the cash for the top of the line one:

Extrasport RetroGlide: Avenger

edit: I want to note that I'm a big guy... 6'1" 250... so I'm thinking the adjustable shoulders in this vest is exactly what I need. I haven't had a chance to go try it on yet as my dealer is an hour away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got a new vest a few months ago. I was aslo in your situation at 6'5" and 240. I ended up going with the Lotus Sherman pfd. Lotus has been bought out by Patagoinia though but they still make the vest. It looks exactly the same. One of the selling points for me was when I read in one of Layline's very descriptive catalouges that "it seems to fit bigger, more barrel chested types" more or less. I've worn it on the water a few times and it is way more comfy that a standard pfd. It doesn't have any fotation on the sides so your arms don't stick out like you just ate a can of spinach. The flotation on both the front and back is un-inturupted but still very flexible and moves with your body. It's a low profile so it rides higher than most vests making ducking under the boom, and trapping out easier. It's also a side entry vest like the one you have shown. Also, a little added feature about the sherman is that it has neoprene hand warmer pockets, which I actually found to be nice when the temps are still cold. There are also very few snagging points on the vest. I've been extremely happy with mine. I ordered it from NRS out of Washington I believe. You can see me with it on here:
http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _photo.php
Whichever you decide on it will be money well spent. It's hard to put a price on being comfortable and safe.

Post subject: Life Vests
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Both vests above are very similar to the vest offered by Hobie.

HOBIE SHORT-PROFILE VEST by Stohlquist
This side entry design has set the standard for streamlined pfd fit. Cool mesh sidepanels and reflective accents. Stretchy neoprene adjustable padded shoulders. Roomy mesh pocket with “Dâ€

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Stholquist vests are great quality for the price. That's what I wear. An added bonus is that Stholquist actually ponies up some dough to support local Hobie Regattas. One of the Stohlquist's actually races an 18. It's nice to support the guys that support us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
The Stholquist vests are great quality for the price. That's what I wear. An added bonus is that Stholquist actually ponies up some dough to support local Hobie Regattas. One of the Stohlquist's actually races an 18. It's nice to support the guys that support us!
Cool!

I don't know about 'larger' sizes, but I jsut got a Stohlquist Drifter, which is pretty similar to the Hobie vest (it might be more adjustable, but mainly I got it because it was red, matched my new drysuit, and doesn't sit over my trap hook like my current neoprene ski vest). It's a great vest that is very adjustable and comfortable.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I kayak as well as sail. This way I am on the water no matter if there is wind or not. I have found that kayaking vests are great for sailing Hobies. The short style makes it easy to move around the tramp and trap out. The vests are made for paddlers, so they allow for lots of movement. I also notice that they do not ride up around your neck. I too am a... robust person and the kayaking vests fit well on my larger frame.

Another bonus is stores like EMS and REI (or any other decent kayak retailer) carry them.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Kayak vests
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Admin

The Stholquist / Hobie High back zip is great for kayaking. The lower back is mesh. The back flotation is up high, so it rides above the seat back.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the vest offered by Hobie. I am 6' 0" 260lbs. 2X fits great. In fact, I would always buy the 2X because the side panels are the only difference and they are adjustable.
Great lifejacket...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I had my eye on getting the hobie vest as well and if my girlfriend hadn't opted to get me the lotus vest for Christmas I would have gotten the hobie vest. I haven't seen one up close but for what appears to be a very high quality vest the price that Hobie offers is a really great deal.

By the way, I happened to catch an episode of Stunk Junkies late the other night and the kayaker who was challenging this hardcore cascading waterfall was wearing a yellow stolquist vest that looked exactly like the hobie vest, just not with the Hobie insignia. It had to be the same vest. Did anyone else catch that? That falls was insane, I could never dream of doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It would appear I am a tad more robust than most of the other responders.

Does anyone know a suitable PDF supplier that has a 3X size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I purchased the extrasport avenger pictured in the first post.. I think they have some pretty big sizes. I don't recall exactly what size I got, but it fits great and is very comfy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have that exact vest... It's even blue. I'm 6'7" and about 260lbs dry. I bought the L/XL size and it fits great. Very comfortable and plenty of room. Get it, you won't regret it.

JRG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yeah, I think a lot of vests run a little on the big side. I'm 6'5'' and 250 and mine is an L/XL. I thought I would need a XXL but I'd of been way off.