Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

I bought 80's Hobie 16 with old trailer which doesn't have registration or VIN number.
The previous owner stated that when I bought it but I didn't know at that time that I need to register the trailer to be on the road since it was first time I hooked up a trailer to my car.
Long story short, it's very hard to register without VIN number or previous registration.
I called NJ DMV and a rep. told me that if I know make and year I can go to court and file the petition for ownership on that trailer.
However, I can't find any information about this trailer except there's a faint label and decals on both sides showing "Cat Hauler".
So, I'd like to ask anyone in this forum who might have owned a similar trailer to identify make and year and possibly if there's any other place to look for VIN number.

Here's decal and label photos link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CcvRdLTFwj5FkJVm8

Thanks,

Terry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you title it as "homemade"? I've done that in Illinois.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are there numbers stamped into the metal, on the tongue? If not, contact your local DMV, and ask the process for titling a trailer as "homemade". In NC, any Highway Patrolman can inspect the trailer, and give you a CO (or something that serves the purpose) to go get a title with.

There were many manufacturers of trailers to carry cats on. Hobie never supplied the trailers. Dealers always had to find them from nearby manufacturers. Often, they were just regular small boat trailers with crossbars added.

With only what you have to go on, there is no telling where that trailer came from.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you show a pic of more of the trailer? Someone might recognize the construction. Not that it would necessarily help if there isn't a serial number, but who knows.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@AntonLargiader, added more photos
@dorienc, there's option but they require me to provide receits of parts and vin for parts if it's used.
@Tom King, looked on the surface but no stamped numbers. I don't think NJ has that Highway police gives out CO policy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Google found this: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/trailer.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's a match for my trailer, including the "cat hauler" sticker, but that's not good news for you. New Hampshire has a procedure for older trailers where you can etch a VIN onto the trailer and take it to an inspection station to have the number verified and register it that way.

New Jersey, along with a couple of other states, are the toughest states to get these trailers registered. Often the best approach is to register the trailer in a state that is more tolerant, then transfer to New Jersey with an existing registration to show the state. It is still a pain, but this trailer is probably somewhere around 40 years old (1980 or so) and predates trailer titles in many states, and is virtually worthless. New Jersey, however, doesn't understand people using things that old.

The way you're supposed to do this is that the bill of sale has a VIN for both the boat and the trailer, which is signed by the seller with an attestation that the VINs are accurate. Smart buyers who have been through this may ask for the seller to have his or her signature witnessed by a notary.

You're not the first person with this problem in the northeast. Take a look at some other forums (I used a search "registering a trailer with no vin in new jersey") for more ideas.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks exactly like my trailer. My registration (California) shows the following:

Make: Dilly
Year: 1980
Model: Carrier
Unladen Wt: 300
VIN: 501963 (example, similar to, but not my actual VIN)

No idea if this helps but that's what I have. Can't find anything on the trailer to identify it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take a look at https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 114AAXc85c

I'd argue that it is trailer manufactured by Dilly, Cat Hauler model, serial number 644 928.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for information, guys!
So, the VIN number is 6 digits?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The serial number is not on that sticker. I think it just has three different addresses for a business possibly named "Coastal Boats."

If NJ really wants to see a number I would buy a punch set and just make one, but that NJ DOT page seems to indicate that a VIN is not needed. The requirements look overwhelming at first glance but it's really just straightforward stuff if you have a bill of sale from the seller. If you can't get that, just call the 609-292-6500 number on the NJ website and explain the situation; see what ideas they have to offer.

If that doesn't lead you anywhere, title it in Vermont (you can title ANYTHING in Vermont) and then transfer it.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Back in the day, VINs could be anything. Depended upon the manufacturer. The number could be on a sticker or etched on. On small trailers, it was a long time before they were titled and any sort of formal process was involved.

Based upon Mistro's trailer, Dilly used a six digit VIN. Definitely not that unusual for an older trailer.

I'd agree that the numbers on the sticker could be anything, from phone numbers to model numbers to maybe a VIN number. But I'd let New Jersey argue that it isn't the VIN.

Jim Clark-Dawe