Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy guys took my hobie 16 down for the winter. My trap shockcords looked pretty frayed to the point i wouldnt trust my weighton them. What do you all recommend to rig and replace them? The upper wires seem OK, 2 of the plastic handles are broken but now sure how much that matters. Pics appreciated. Thankwhatsapp web 192.168.0.1 routerlogin

Last edited by jacobM on Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Standard 1/4” diameter bungee cord from West Marine, Murrays, or most other marine suppliers should do the trick.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Uummm...The shockcord doesn't support your weight......just keeps the trap rigging from flogging around when not in use. If the trap lines are frayed, they should be replaced with new 3/16" diameter. These do support your weight, and you'll be making a splash if they break.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Every Spring and every Fall, as we put up or take down the mast, we check the standing rigging very, very carefully.
Any wires that are kinked or frayed are replaced, we check the thimbles where they connect to the shackles, and we inspect all the clevis pins and shroud anchors.

Then we re-attach everything, and re-wire the shackles (at the hounds of the mast) and tape them.

Shroud anchors should be removed and checked for straightness and galling, especially if you sail in salt water.
We replace them and their clevis pins every 2 to 3 years.
If you have ever dropped a mast due to this failure, you'll know how important this is.
We once dropped a mast due to carelessness....the ring-ding caught on the rope from the cat trax and at the end of the first tack, the clevis pin went 'ping' into the river.
It was a long (and embarrassing) paddle back to the Sailing Club.

We also check each and every ring-ding and the trap bungees and J&H handles. When in doubt, replace it.
Hobie sells very nice 'screw in' trap handles, coated with neoprene, much better than the plastic ones.

We also carefully check the bow wires and the all-important bow shackle.

Happy and safe sailing.