Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Hobie for me?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have read over the forums seeking similar advice, but have not really seen a discussion that fits my circumstance. I hope you are willing to help.

I am a young attorney living in Tulsa, Oklahoma and have a 7 year old boy that loves the out doors and a wife that is into the outdoors also. I used to go sailing on a large mono haul a friend owned and loved it, but never really got to help that much (it was like a 44' boat on lake Michigan). My wife and I have been on large cat's and other larger sailing vessels in the Keys and loved it. Nearby to our house someone is selling a mono hull for $2X,000 and when we drive by we lament about wishing we could afford it.

So when Tulsa's Hobie Fleet 25 had a "learn to sail" day we jumped at the chance. The family piled into the Nissan and headed to one of many nearby lakes (4 large lakes within an hour of my house). And we had a blast! We got to sail/help sail a 16, 18 and 20. Everyone really enjoyed themselves even though the winds were only 6-8 mph.

So, now we are left considering whether or not to run out and buy a Hobie, and if so, what size?

That's where you come in:

1) I want a boat that I can take out my small family and another couple on if we wanted to. I understand we wont be breaking any speed records but just to sail around a bit.

2) Neither my wife nor I would want to jump into racing straight away. However, it is likely that down the road we would get more involved and would at least like the possibility to be there.

3) I'm 27. I kind of want a fast boat. But at the same time I do not have much experience and have heard that something like a Hobie 20 is too much boat for us.

4) I am not one of those wealthy attorney's. So money is somewhat of a concern (stupid student loans), I'm definitely interested in getting the most for my money.

A guy in Hobie 25 had an 1981 Hobie 18 for sale for $1500 but it had original sails and tramp and as I understand it the early 18's are HEAVY.

I know I have lots to learn and more to research before actually finding MY boat. So I thought I would tap into some experience and see what the community thinks. I received mixed reports from the Hobie Fleet 25 crowd as to what would be appropriate and what the cost would be. I greatly appreciate any insight, if we decide to buy expect to see a "what do I look for!" post in the not to distant future.

Thank you in advance,

Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would check out the getaway if you want the ability to bring up to 6 people on board. From what I have seen this is easier for new sailors to handle than an 18 or 20.

I would also consider a wave to start because they are very easy to sail and rig. They are small but would be a great start to then upgrade from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jesse,

Answer to question 1 = Hobie 18, perfect boat for occasional guests.

Answer to question 2 = Hobie 18, there are a few people still racing in the Dallas area. If you were in to the occasional regatta, the Mid-Americas at Texoma is always attended well. If you find racing addicting, you can pass this boat on to a newcomer and move to a more popular class (20 or 16).

Answer to question 3 = Hobie 18, faster than the 16, really squirts along with just two aboard.

Heavy compared to other 18's, yes. So are you learning or racing? I think you're going to pay considerably more for an '89 or newer (if you can find one) and would be travelling a bit find competition. I think spending more for a boat closer to minimum weight is a commitment way beyond that of a new Hobie sailor. $1,500 seems in the ballpark for an entry level 16 or 18, get on it and learn.

Did you talk to Tom Page?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

H18 w/ wings. Fun boat, built like a battle ship (tough), fast, roomy, versatile. A bit heavy as John said, but everything is a trade off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, everyone on here seems to really like the 18. In fact, looking over the these forums the 20 are not well represented at all. I got the opposite vibe from some in the Hobie Fleet when I was hanging out with them - mostly into the 20 but saying the 18 was solid also.

One concern with the older 18 - would I end up dumping money into to the 25 year old sails and tramp just to keep it on the water (sails are noticeably stretched)? If so, add $1500 to the boat and I'm at the low end of what a 20 would cost.

Is the 20 just not as rugged of a boat or is it just too much for an amateur to handle or do you guys just really like the 18? I'm just surprised at the resounded "18" reply. How does it stack up against the 20 for speed and capacity, I gather it is more robust and less expensive - which is a plus. Can you still get equipment for the 18 even though it is out of production?

Thanks a lot, keep it coming!

John Eaton:
I talked to several people at the event, but am HORRIBLE with names. The 18 I sailed on was owned by a larger gentleman named Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't misunderstand, Both John Eaton and I both are 20 sailors. From what you described, the 18 with some wings, like Karl said, would suit you best in terms of use and budget. Oh yea, there are ALWAYS some decent used 18 sails for sale somewhere for cheap. The 20 is a mean animal in bigger wind and not real comfy for cruising like the 18 would be. To illistrate: My wife and Mother loved the 18 with wings we borrowed to go out and have margaritas on in 10 kt winds. My wife is scared (censored) less of my 20. My 8 year old loves it though, he like the fast boats.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Number one, if you think anything about boats is cheap you are in the wrong place. Take up bird watching.
Sailing is expensive. very expensive.
That said, Hobie sailing is about as economical as it gets.
I just bought new sails for my Hobie 21. $2,000. That, by boat standards is cheap cheap cheap. And I bought Pentex racing quality sails.
Second. you are not going to take a lot of people out on a Hobie. Why? They have to wear a bathing suit. That eliminates half of all women, unless your female friends are quite exceptional.
If you load a Hobie up with passengers it becomes a barge. Catamarans are as sesitive to weight as women are to talking about it. A cat that is fast with two aboard is a barge with four. It's just the wrong boat for carrying passengers.
The moral of the story.
You would be wise to rent a few boats first to get your feet wet before buying.
Advice from the racing crowd, if you are not the race type, will be very misleading as racing is whole different animal from pleasure cruising but the race guys don't know it.
I'm a pleasure cruiser and sail with my wife on our H21SE and we love it. This is not a starter boat. The 18 would not be a bad starter and forget about how fast it is. You won't even begin to know how to sail it fast for two years anyway. My 2 c's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beachboy makes good points, it may take a season to "get up to speed" and know what direction you'll head from there...whether serious racing is something you want to pursue.

I bought an 18 when I got back into Hobies (after a child rearing hiatus), without doing what you did, checking with a local fleet. I had always raced and the BIG fleet is the 20 in our area. Changing to 20, which is basically a racing boat, excited the hell out of my college aged son/racing crew. :D
On the other hand, I'll NEVER hear the end of selling the 18 from my wife. :cry:

email me and I'll put you in touch with Tom, he always has a pulse on the boats for sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hobie 18 impressed me recently!

At Wayward winds in Texas City after a few jello shots and some drunken boat tag I saw a Hobie 18 submerged by a peir for 4 hours. Finally when we refloated her and the current changed we drained the water and sailed it home. (THIS WAS NOT MY BOAT, MINE WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION BUT NOT SUBMERGED)

That said they raced the next day and kicked my butt. That thing is a tank, and I think it would make a great starter boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look at it this way. You don't like it, you can sell it for probably exactly what you paid for it. (the $1500 H18)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A Hobie 18 with wings is a whole different boat without wings. If you get a chance sail both. By todays standards all Hobie 18s are heavy. I used to race my 18, but now with wings I cruise. Wings are comfortable for the family and H- 18 wings are easily adapted to any H-18. (finding them can be difficult). As they don't make the H-18 anymore you would belong to the dead boat society, no worrys though, new and used parts are available.

A Gateway is close to the H-18 I am told but I haven't seen one up close.

Rent a boat, or crew for someone who needs one, and get your name out there. If your serious many owners will give you a ride and or allow you a turn at the helm. Then go out and buy a boat.

The happiest day in a boat owners life is the day he buys or sells his boat.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all for the insight. it seems no one thinks buying the 20 would be a good idea to start with. i admit that surprises me but I suppose you would know better than I.

I feel the need to clarify a little bit, I know that the Hobie with 4 or 5 people is a barge. I understand that. I just want the ability to take out a small group of people form time to time. More than likely the scenario would be a few friends bringing boats to the lake and I tkae out a few at a time for a little cruise out and back. Blah, anyway.

Beachboy:

Compared to many, many other hobbies - sailing on a hobie is cheap. The parts wear out but are not expended like ammunition, gas, or balls. The parts are made to last as long as possible if you are not in need of the latest greatest thing. There is not a fee every time you take it out. Not to mention $1500 for a boat would buy about half of a rifle/scope combo or a new set of brand name golf clubs.

and alas, there is no where to rent hobie's around here. Hell, I cannot think of anywhere to rent paddle boats. So my contacts with 'hobie fleet 25' will have to suffice.

Thanks for all of your feedback, keep it coming if you please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am telling you, the hobie 18 with wings is the best boat for your needs. The getaway is awesome if you can afford it, otherwise, do the 18. 3-5 people and a cooler is not uncommon for running around on. Once you have it a while, you'll figure out ways to make it go faster.
The good thing about the 18 is that it is a really tough boat and not much breaks on it, so it may be less expensive in the long run that something else more fragile. And you can buy a decent set of sails for an 18 very reasonably if you look around in the right places.

Post subject: which boat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

cannon-fodder call me I was one of the 20's out there that weekend. 252-6102 or e-mail me. By the way there will be another sailing event this weekend at the same location. Come out saturday and watch some racing and ask more questions. We will be glad to help. Tom