Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've tried searching but couldn't find anything that addresses this. I bought beach wheels a few years back for my 14. Then I bought a 16 and the wheels work just fine as is. Now I have been given a wave (yeah I know!) but realized the spacing of the wheels is too wide to fit between the wave hulls. I am thinking of drilling another hole in the axle to move one wheel closer in. Maybe use the existing inner hole as the new outer with the new hole as the new inside for when I use the wave if that moves the wheel in enough. Then replace the cotter/split pins with something more easily taken out/replaced. Maybe a snap pin (I think they're called) if I can find one big enough. Has anyone had to do something similar and have any thoughts or advice?

Hobie 16 1985 European Championships Palma 114072

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cat Trax can be used for all kinds of beach catamarans.
Our F18 and Tornado friends do exactly that - drill and widen.
(You may need to use a sleeve to achieve this).

In your case, you want to drill and narrow.

However....make sure your drill holes are not too close to each other, as that will weaken the tube that is the axle.

And make sure you coat the holding bolts with an anti-galvanic compound so it does not seize and create other problems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murrays used to sell an axle extender kit that could be used for wide boats (like a Tornado or Hobie 21). It was simply a piece of aluminum tube with about a 1/4” wall and 2” (or slightly larger) ID. You simply cut the regular axle in half and then spliced in the extension tube, secured with a couple 1/4 diameter bolts. Additional holes could be added to the tube to allow for various width adjustments.

The same concept could easily be adapted to make the trax narrower and adjustable. Cut the main axle and shorten it by 6” or whatever you need to fit the wave. Then splice in the over-sized tube. Bolt one side to the axle permanently, and on the other side add two holes, one for your narrow setting and the other for your wide setting.

This will be much easier than pulling the wheel cotter pins and trying to slide the wheels in and out each time you want to adjust the width of your trax.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your replies.

When I bought my wheels Murrays actually cut the axle in half and supplied me with the sleeve to save a lot on the shipping. I forget the price difference but it was significant, I live in Okinawa. So actually what srm suggested above was my first idea but then I wondered if it would be a problem structurally when using on the heavier 16 with a 'gap' inside the sleeve. That is why I thought of drilling an extra hole inside the existing one and moving one of the wheels in or out depending. You are right though, not very easy to faff around with the cotter pins and respace the wheel esp on the beach with the chance of spilling the delrin bearings out. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious and losing 6 inches or so from the axle won't be an issue with the 16?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It will not be a problem structurally for the wheels at all. We did it this way for many years when switching the wheels between a H18 and H20. The extender pipe was originally intended for use on a H21 which has a 10ft beam. The gap between the inner axle halves will not be an issue.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's good to hear, I will go ahead and make the axle shorter. Seems like the best solution. Thanks for your help and advice.