Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I'm looking to pick up a Hobie 16. I've had a hard time finding the total length that a boat stored on the trailer takes up.
If someone could measure their total clearance required, I would appreciate that.
Preferably one measurement with the mast on (but folded down) in towing position, and a second with the mast removed.

Thanks in advance, this information may determine if I become a Hobie owner today or not, as I need this info to determine if it will fit in my side driveway (without clotheslining anyone walking their dog on the sidewalk).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's going to depend on the tongue length of your particular trailer, which varies from trailer to trailer. With the mast on the trailer, it's easy - 26.6', length of the mast which protrudes over the front and the back of the trailer. With the mast off, it'll be around 20' - 22' (tongue length of usually 4' - 6' plus 16')

There are ways to make it work. My 17 was too long on the trailer to fit in my garage, so I hoisted it off the trailer from the rafters and shoved the trailer all the way in. The mast hung on a rack on the side of my house.
Then I had a 17' Thistle monohull. I built a bump out on the garage, and the mast hung diagonally in my garage. Just fit.
Now I rent a storage garage for my Getaway and Sunfish.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Storage and actually towing can be two very different measurements. I know a guy who stores his 16 in an 18 foot garage. Mast removed from the trailer and stored vertically outside. Rudders are removed from the boat, which a lot of people do for traveling anyways. Separate the bridle so that it's not in the way. Then slide the boat forward until the front crossbar is touching the mast support or is equal to the tongue length.

You can't tow with the boat in this position as you'll have a very unbalanced trailer with excessive tongue weight on the towing vehicle. But for cramming it into a tight space, easily done.

Boat and trailer on level ground can easily be moved by one or two people, and sliding it sideways is possible. It's amazing how little space you can get away with when you absolutely have to, But basically you can store a Hobie 16 in a space 20 feet long and 8.5 feet wide, mast not included.

Jim Clark-Dawe