Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am posting this in the Open Forum because it deals with more than one boat. I did a little research, and here's what I came up with.

I have seen the rumors regarding the red and blue colored F-18/ Tiger sails and have come to the conclusion that they are not F18 or tiger class legal. Until someone tells us the manufacturer of the sail cloth, AND it is on the approved F18 sailcloth list, class legal red and blue sails do not exist.

http://www.f18-international.org/Approv ... lcloth.htm

I have been in contact with several very well known sail manufacturers (who will remain anon) and came up with nothing:

Quote:
To our reading, the ad does not reference colored sails for an F18 but rather red or blue sails for an FX-1/ FX-Extreme. The F18 section says that the sails are made out of about cross cut pentex cloth. The only pentex cross cut cloth on the F18 approved list is Contender's MAXX Pen 09. Contender says that they have never made that style in colors, only white or smoke.

and

Quote:
...Contender...does not have any F18 class legal colored pentex right now and no immediate plans to run any. Of the style(s) that we use for F18 sails, they have never made any class legal red (only white, smoke, blue or flouro yellow)

No blue in stock right now, no plans to make it unless someone orders a bunch. Hobie Europe?

and

Quote:
We have also checked with Dimension-Polyant, Bainbridge and Challenge. None of the manufacturers has any colored cloth that is on the approved cloth list. It is not a very big list so not a lot of choices!

So until someone can actually tell us the sail cloth used in the mysterious red and blue sails, it's all about the smoke, white and yellow for F18/ Tiger.

Now there are colored cloths available in different weights and weaves and such that are not approved for F18/ Tiger. So if you want a pentex main for your FX one, H18, etc, in blue, no problem. But, they won't be class legal.

Here's the ad. Notice that the Tiger has smoke sails and the text is kind of ambiguous. "...open class sails are also available similar to the Tiger F18 sails in red or blue." Kind of funky wording. To me this says,"The FX sails are a different material but very similar to the Tiger sails, and also available in red and blue."

That's all I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeremy- I'm still a bit fuzzy on this. Cool sails for FXone? Yes, no? I've read this about a dozen times. Are they going to be available in the U.S.? When? Image

Whats the deal with the poly-hetra-chlorine-vinyl-oak-fibre construction? What's the difference? Less weight? Image

Too many question mark's.?Image