Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Luff Track Glue removal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The luff track on the comptip of my new 1987 H17 is missing some big chips so I bought a new track. Attempting to remove the old luff track - I found that it has been GLUED to the comptip. I could try to chisel it off - and risk breaking the comptip. Or I could Dremel it off - in about 36 hours. Or I could try to use a solvent to dissolve the glue - and risk dissolving the comptip. Any suggestions? What is the strongest solvent the comptip can stand? Is there anything that will eat the luff track but not the comptip? At first I thought the glue was GOOP, but its harder than GOOP. It could be fiberglass(polyester) or epoxy, but I wouldn't think either should stick to plastic luff track ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pics would help.

The Comptip is fiberglass - pretty impervious to most solvents.

Who would glue the track on? It just snaps in place.

Problem is that even if you get it all the big pieces off, the little grooves on the sides of the Comptip (that the track snaps into) will need to be cleaned out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a thought. If the entire luff track is truely glued on and can't easily be removed, then it might be easier to just replace the damaged sections. Cut out the areas of the existing comptip track that have large chips in them. Then chop off sections of the new track to replace only the areas that you have cut out.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

The luff tracks were not glued on by the factory...

Here is removal and replacement instructions for a standard luff track situation: http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/38584001.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the suggestions. The glue was polyester resin. I used mineral spirits to try to loosen the grip of the glue on the plastic track and a hair dryer to soften the plastic since it is cold here in PA. I got the track off and only chipped the lip a little bit more.
Quote:
Who would glue the track on?

Someone who was dealing with a serious lack of comptip lip since a lot of the lip was missing when the track was glued on. My current situation.
Quote:
Problem is that even if you get it all the big pieces off, the little grooves on the sides of the Comptip (that the track snaps into) will need to be cleaned out

I used a sawzall blade to clean out the worst of it, then sandpaper wrapped around the blade to get the rest.
I think maybe the problem started when the comptip was glued on. The grooves had piles of glue in them just up from the joint. Enough to spread the track, possibly enough to prevent the lower end of the track from getting a good grip on the lip so it kept popping off and damaging the lip. Doesn't really matter how it happened, I just need to fix it.
I'll try to rebuild the lip with epoxy, if this proves too tedious I could try to stick the track on with GOOP. Or coat the track with mold release, pack the groove in the track with epoxy then stick it on. When all else fails DUCT TAPE prevails.
Quote:
The luff tracks were not glued on by the factory...

I don't blame Hobie, or anybody. Hobie products are very well made. My problem clearly results from an owner's expedient repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys!

I have found a half inch crack in the luff track lip right at the bottom where comptip starts. Do I need to be concerned with this? Will this grow into something bigger?
I have hoisted sails, sheeted in main block to block and pulled crazy tight on the downhaul. Then I looked at that spot with binoculars and, frankly, did not see much. The mast was forming a nice looking arch at this time.

So do I need to worry about this?