Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Potentially being a new Hobie owner, with my wife's approval, I was wondering what size boat would be right for my needs. I weigh 205 and have a decent amount of sailing experience having owned and soloed a Compac 23. I never thought about weight limitations until I read about someone my size sailing with a companion and having the windward hull submarining on regular occasions when hiked out and riding on one pontoon. I was considering a 14 to 16 foot boat but not sure if tht would suffice for sailing four people around the lake (two in a stiff breeze when the fun begins). Any advice and info on source of used boats in the southeast would be appreciated. Also, is <$1500 a reasonalble price for such a boat in decent condition with a trailer?
Thanks!

Kirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A 14 might be bit small by yourself. With another person it will be to small.

You can get a decent H16 for $1500. It's a good boat to learn on, and not too bad to singlehand in the right winds. At 200lbs you won't be able to right it on your own with out the assistance of a bag or righting pole.

A Hobie 16 doesn't handle four adults very well. The Getaway would be the best choice for handling the weight. But it isn't as "sporty" as other models. I have no idea what used Getaways sell for.

You closest Hobie dealer will should have good knowledge on available used boats in the area. Craigslist has some good deals once in a while, it seems these are the ones that are the most neglected though, and ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Karl said, plus, don't rule out a Hobie 18 if you want to take more than two people. I prefer sailing my 18 over the 16 because it has a smoother ride, is faster, and is more forgiving of mistakes.