Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are you ready?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK,

Have noticed over the past two weeks, when Esther (the wonder dog) and I go out in the morning that the birds are more active and certain species have returned (Cardinal, Jays, even a woodpecker)

Today we got a definitive sign from Mother Nature...geese! That's right boys and girls, the scouts (low flyers) are moving through Northern Kansas/Missouri. That means the big flocks are soon to follow!

March is coming in like a lamb here and the first day of Spring is only 21 days away. All signs are this nasty winter will be rewarded by an early spring...are you ready???
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'M SOOOO READY!!! We didn't get our (new to us) 1981 H16 in the water untill Sept. 1st. Due to swing shifts and working weekends we only went out on it maybe a half dozen times. Since then I had a heart attack which really sucked...I'm OK..Went back to work in a week! BUT NOW I've been promoted to "Instructor" (High Voltage Operations...4,000 to 500,000 Volts). After 21 years of rotating swing shifts I now work day shift only with weekends and holidays off!!!! WE PLAN TO RUN THE FIBERGLASS OFF THAT BOAT!! I have some friends that are camping fanatics, they want me to go camping with them this Summer, I told them I'll only consider places that we can take our Hobie.

New Parts came in this week! Windward electric motor bracket that hooks to the dolphin striker to expand our launch ramp capabilities, anti-pitchpole hydrofoils for the bows (I know...training wheels) and yesterday I went to Bass Pro to pick up an electric motor.

I plan to do some trailer work like replace the bearings and build a sail box. But WE ARE READY!!!

OUR next big thing is a Harley trip to the Keys. We'll be back mid April. That will have us pretty close to the season around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a 16 in December, been working on it cleaning it up and getting it race ready. Finally got the stick in the air for the first time last week and did some "yard sailing". There's still snow on the north side of the house, but I'm 'jonesing" for a race in the worst way. Judy and I are headed down to Panama City for the MWE, and the only thing I have left to decide is whether to take the 16, or the 18. Maybe I'll double stack, take them both, and see if there is a Fleet of 18's to sail in. If not, I'll rig the 16 and sail it. Kinda like going to the golf course and picking the right club outta the bag.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its been a long winter North of the Border. I took the H16 off the beach in Mid October and picked up "my new to me" H14 about the same time. A group of us reactivated a fleet in the area so we've been spending the winter planning our events. All this talk and anticipation about the summer is making it really long.

We've got about 4" of snow on the ground but the weather is just bit above freezing. Spring still seems a long ways away but here's hoping it comes sooner than later.

I envy those of you that live well south of us and can sail year round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry guys... I sailed this past Thursday. Winds were 20-30, with a peak of 41mph. A nice day, though the water's still a bit nippy at 58F.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went to go pick up the boat today to move her to a new storage lot, but I forgot to bring wheel chocks :? . So I brought her home and I'm going to tool around with fixing the trailer this week(end).

71 degrees today...

Winds: S 24 G 36 MPH

Of course, the water is still cold

Water Surface Temperature: 30% Ice

Today was a nice breath of fresh air though. When I pulled up to my boat, I wanted nothing more than to go sailing. I think I've got the bug.

1984 H16 - #80541

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeff,

I just got back from the lake, the waves were HUGE at the dam. Passed Powercats' truck parked on the South side, he and gf were hiking the trails. Went over to KSA to check tarps and what knot. We noticed your boat was gone out of the Harrels' lot. Diekers' 16 fell off it's bow stand and knocked the a$$ end of Blinkers' 16 off the trailer :oops: you may want to park on the North side :shock:

Monday's Corp weather posting should include a water temperature. Only very sparse ice remaining on lee shores and protected coves, Paul and I stuck our hands in, I'll guess 41. The gulls were having a heyday with the fish trapped by the ice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was a blamy 34 degrees to day. :D Get out the shorts! Lakes are all still at 18" plus of ice. I'm still almost two months out from sailing around here. Clear Lake is gonna be a fricken cold regatta. Maybe I'll splurge for that drysuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a good argument to get some tie downs. It gets too windy in Kansas to expect for your boat to stay in one place.

I'll probably be taking mine back out there next Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully we'll get some more warm weather to get the lake temperature up. I've only got a shorty to keep me warm.

1984 H16 - #80541

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it was +4C here today, long weekend in May is launch day for me so I'll have to wait a little longer. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

18" of ICE.....that really sucks. I thought it was bad here in SC. I went out last Saturday for an hour and it was 60 degrees! We are headed for Florida next weekend to tune up for Spring Fever and MWE. Spring Fever is just 3 weeks away. Two months? We could all be dead by then.

Y'all need to load up and head South. Rent a minivan and stack 3 on a trailer.

Gas is $2.95 today!

If we survive Global Warming we hope to be at Clear Lake in Sept.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I start getting real twitchy this time of year.

Post subject: Spring?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, the birds are singing around here as well. However cardinals, bluejays, and woodpeckers stay around here the year around. I see them at my feeders all the time. Now... when I see the first robin, then I know spring is just around the corner. That usually occurs during the first week of March which is now. However with 5" of snow on the ground, I wouldn't blame them for showing up late.

We too bought our used Hobie late in the season last summer. We only had it out about five times, and only one of those times, Labor Day, was great sailing. The other times there wasn't a lot of wind. But we too are looking forward to the sailing season. I need to order a few things to fix her up, but spring can't come soon enough for me. It has been a very snowy winter here in NW Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey,

The Robins went through here (Columbia, SC) yesterday. Thousands! They crapped all over my truck. You ought to see them by Wednesday.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Went about 90 miles north to my brothers cabin. Had to snowshoe in a 1/2 mile to get in as the road had about 2 1/2 foot of snow yet. Stopped at the beach where i keep my boat, plenty of ice on the lake as the ice fisherman were out in force. It will be a long 2 months before sailing. :(

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net