Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith, great write up on the name of the AI!
They DID change the name of the original Adventure of which the Adventure Island was based from... it is now called the Revolution 16! There no longer is a plain jane Adventure.
So a name change for the AI is not impossible...
Maybe this should be a separate thread for more exposure?

By the way, I dragged Dianne into the Tackle Shack in St Pete a couple weeks ago, mostly to look at and drool over the new seat... did not think that they would have any new AIs or TIs to look at but someone canceled on a newly delivered TI, a Red one, and Dianne fell in love with it!
So we are now the proud owners of a brand new, red (and kinda heavy) 2015 TI!
Took it out immediately the next morning for a shakedown cruise out to Caledesi Island and around the area a bit... Great deal of fun, Dianne was very happy!
They did not change so much on the TI but the seats are really nice and now I am hoping that I can get Dianne to come with me and you folks a bit more on some of these trips...

Finally, curious about the last trip you took through/around the everglades... it must have been an interesting trip as the weather got a bit squirrely there for a bit... wished I could a made it but your report will have to do... when you get down playing with your new AI 2 that is!

Don

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TriBlue wrote:
Keith, great write up on the name of the AI!
They DID change the name of the original Adventure of which the Adventure Island was based from... it is now called the Revolution 16! There no longer is a plain jane Adventure. Good point!
So a name change for the AI is not impossible...
Maybe this should be a separate thread for more exposure? I put things here so I can find them easily.

By the way, I dragged Dianne into the Tackle Shack in St Pete a couple weeks ago, mostly to look at and drool over the new seat... did not think that they would have any new AIs or TIs to look at but someone canceled on a newly delivered TI, a Red one, and Dianne fell in love with it! Of course.
So we are now the proud owners of a brand new, red (and kinda heavy) 2015 TI! Fantastic!!!
Took it out immediately the next morning for a shakedown cruise out to Caledesi Island and around the area a bit... Great deal of fun, Dianne was very happy!
They did not change so much on the TI but the seats are really nice and now I am hoping that I can get Dianne to come with me and you folks a bit more on some of these trips... We all hope so, Don.

Finally, curious about the last trip you took through/around the everglades... it must have been an interesting trip as the weather got a bit squirrely there for a bit... wished I could a made it but your report will have to do... when you get down playing with your new AI 2 that is! Yes, the trip report is on hold, until I get this AI 2 scoped out. I haven't even sailed it yet. No hurry. I waited 4+ months, and it did not get here for the big trip, so no hurry to sail it now. You would have loved the Chok-FLM trip. Great fun, great adventure.

Don
I'm planning a couple more trips, one Apr 13-16 to PAV, a fishing trip & last trip of the year. And, also, a trip around Mar 28-29, a weekend, to PAV. This latter trip will hopefully get a number of WaterTribe out to tell us about their 2015 Everglades Challenge--it should be fun.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith,

Well, I've tentatively "penciled in" both trips... the weekend trip is more likely due to my work schedule but I may just be slow at work come the trip in April so that we maybe could get out then as well...

The new AI is pretty nice, a couple/few weeks ago, I sailed with Chief, he in his new AI 2 and me in my old converted Adventure, now an AI, full circle (all points of sailing) around Egmont Key and Ft Desoto Park in light to moderate winds, he did not have any down wind improvements setup on his AI 2 yet and so I was able to keep up down wind no problem but when it came time to run close hauled he left me in the dust... the new AI 2 is maybe as much as twice as fast close hauled and, perhaps more importantly, sails, with speed, a lot closer to the wind!

Enjoy that new AI 2!

Don

P.S. Are you and Rick still intending to do the EC this year?

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AI 2 Physical Characteristics. Part 1.

My knowledge of birds, stars & planets, and sails can be summarized in one sentence, no, one word, “nothing.” That takes care of those 3 major topics, except I have to say a bit about the AI 2 sail vs the AI sail. I’ve got a few pictures.

Good friend, Joe Slama, came over for the un-packaging of my new AI 2. It came in 2 boxes.

Here the hull emerges from its cocoon.

Joe placed the AI 2 mast into its holder and then held up the AI mast so I could take this picture. It doesn’t do any good to tell him to stop clowning because we have important work, in fact, he gets worse.

Here is a picture of the mast reaching to the sky, ahh, tree branches. The AI 2 mast is longer by 16-18” depending on how you measure it.

The mast bases:

The AI 2 sail with 3 full-length battens:

The 2-batten, red sail is from my wife’s 2009 AI. Here it is laid on top of the AI 2 sail. It shows what you can get with 13% more sail on the AI 2. Note that most of the additional AI 2 sail is above, higher, than the AI sail.

The “window” is much reduced in the AI 2 vs the AI. Since this “clear” window material seems to be more easily degraded by sun than the solid material, this makes sense. Additional clear window in the AI is more for style than utility.

This shows the approximate dimensions of the AI 2 window.

Joe examines the Vantage chair available on the AI 2.

Here he models it in the beach chair mode. I apologized for not getting his head in the picture. He pointed out that including a model’s head would cost more. The legs of the chair stow easily in the bottom of the chair when it is mounted on the boat.

The centerboard folds out smoothly from the bottom of the AI 2. The maximum extension is shown here.

The long slot on the bottom of the boat to accommodate the cb could be a concern if it becomes jammed with shells and sand on beaches. It does not seem to be a problem for friends who use their TIs for camping.

The reverse angle bow on the AI 2 is apparent here. Its purpose is to improve wave cutting compared to its AI counterpart. It has been suggested that this will cause more waves to wash over the bow of the AI 2. Perhaps...time will tell. (and, we can always install a wave buster on the bow.)

Here are a couple pictures of the amas. The longer, more sharply angle ama is the AI 2 ama.

That view exaggerates the size of the AI ama. It is closer and looks disproportionately larger. Here is another view which gives a better perspective. Frankly, the AI ama looks like a child next to the new AI 2 ama.

Here are some measurements to compare the AI 2 to the AI.

My AI 2 is close to 16’ 0”. That is an accurate measurement. Also, lining up my 2011 AI stern with that of my new AI 2, shows the AI to be about 6-7” shorter. Rudder/rudder housing is not included in these measurements.

Depth of the hull through each of the hatch openings. The measurement was made at the rear of each of the 6 openings:

Circumference—measured near the center of each boat:
    AI 67”
    AI 2 74.5”

Hull Width—measured near center of the seat area of each boat:
    AI 26.5-27”
    AI 2 28”

There will be more to follow, but, if you have a question, I’ll try to answer it.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! 8)
Thanks Keith for taking the time and trouble to post this. It's exactly what I was hoping for and gives those of us without access to the 2015 Islands a much better idea of exactly what's changed. Much appreciated.
From your pics it looks like the '15 mast will fit the earlier models. The furler drum will sit very high but that's not too much of a problem. The TI mast I fitted to my AI had the furler drum at the same height and it worked OK. The '15 AI furler drum looks very similar to the TI furler drum. The important bit -the locking lip looks to be in a similar position so the lock lever should work.
That's the first pic I've seen of the DB/CB (is it still a CB if it's not centred?) and it looks very sleek compared to the huge flat shapeless slab of a board on the TI.
Has anything been done to strengthen the V-Braces do you think? I'm guessing it's a bigger triangle due to the increased volume but other than that are the components the same diameter and fixed with a single bolt to the bottom of the hull?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Wow! 8)
Thanks Keith for taking the time and trouble to post this. It's exactly what I was hoping for and gives those of us without access to the 2015 Islands a much better idea of exactly what's changed. Much appreciated. You are welcome.

From your pics it looks like the '15 mast will fit the earlier models. The furler drum will sit very high but that's not too much of a problem. The TI mast I fitted to my AI had the furler drum at the same height and it worked OK. The '15 AI furler drum looks very similar to the TI furler drum. The important bit -the locking lip looks to be in a similar position so the lock lever should work. Yes, you are right, Stringy. It looks like Hobie intends to sell some AI 2 sails to AI owners. If AI owners hope to increase their max speeds in strong winds, I doubt that will happen. In strong winds, the current AI sail is sufficient to bury the ama and hull to a foot or two below the water surface--not great for speed (We found that out last week when we sailed daily in fierce winds. You were forced to furl the AI sail in order to keep your speed up.) The larger AI 2 sail may help at lower winds.

That's the first pic I've seen of the DB/CB (is it still a CB if it's not centred? Yes!) and it looks very sleek compared to the huge flat shapeless slab of a board on the TI. The dagger board on the AIs is sort of a hybrid. Dagger boards are supposed to pull straight up and can be a problem if they hit an obstruction. Centerboards, not always on center, fold up into a box like on the TI and AI 2. Hobie's AI dagger board needs to be pulled straight up, but can fold back (but not into a box.)

Has anything been done to strengthen the V-Braces do you think? I'm guessing it's a bigger triangle due to the increased volume but other than that are the components the same diameter and fixed with a single bolt to the bottom of the hull? The V-Braces look the same.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the extra info.
I agree with you Keith. The larger sail should only be considered for light wind use and not to increase speed in high winds. That was my reasoning for fitting the TI mast/sail to my AI. The original sail is already too big in winds approaching 20knots.
The best way to increase speed is to hike out and keep the ama out of the water. Last week I was out experimenting soloing the TI and for the first time I was able to sail confidently in 15-20 knots and not furl the sail because I was out on the haka. I was very pleased with how the TI performed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another difference worth noting with the larger AI sail are the full length battens. Even though the TI's sail is much larger again it only has one full length and then 2 short battens.
I wonder whether full length battens have an advantage?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Knowing nothing about sail design, my guess is that Hobie would not put full length battens in if they were not useful. If nothing else, they will make me think that I have the best of all sails on my new AI 2. I'm actually thinking of going sailing on Wednesday--if it is not too cold. Winds are forecast to be 19 mph from the NW.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith
Can you provide the critical dimension for me? Back of seat at butt to the pedal extended in the longest position? Maybe call it longest extended leg measure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Charlie,

49-50", rough measure. If you need it more accurate, let me know; the boat will be set up tomorrow. Joe Slama, Henry Ovares, and me are going out tomorrow. Winds forecast to be 17-18 mph out of NW. We will be on a beam reach or close reach. Joe will be in my 2011 AI, Henry in his TI, and me in my new AI 2. You think there will be a little, friendly racing going on?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks so much for this Keith. We think a Wednesday sail is a great idea mainly because we will all be looking forward to your test report. :)

The change over price for me will be about AUS$ 2 grand. It's looking worth it at this stage. I just have to convince my wife that it is an investment.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Slaughter,

I'm thinking my next post about the new AI 2 vs the AI would be subtitled something like "any similarity to the pre-2015 AI is coincidental and unintended."

Maybe I am easily impressed, but I am amazed at the changes that have been made. Almost all of the changes make sense--some are simply a matter of convenience, but others, like the taller mast, the bigger sail, the new centerboard, the increased volume in the bow, the longer, larger, forward-mounted akas, etc. These are the biggies. Any one of them would make a difference. All taken together give you a really new boat. Today was the first that I put the AI 2 on my trailer with AI cradles--it doesn't fit, by a long ways, and it further emphasizes the complete rebuild of the AI 2. Hopefully, Hobie will get the new cradles on the market soon, otherwise there is going to be a lot of DIY cradles being made.

One of the simple changes, which might go unnoticed by most, is the placement of the cleats which are around the rear cargo area. On the AI, they are placed on the top edge of the cargo space border. They were fine for something like scuba tanks laying in the bottom of the cargo area, but they were not good for strapping things down like dry bags or coolers. On the AI 2, the Hobie engineers have placed them on the side of the hull--more like the cleats on an 18-wheeler. Now it will be easier to safely bungee or strap down larger items in the cargo area. I found the cleats in the older AI inconvenient, but it never dawned on me that a simple change in location could make them much more useful.

And, then there is Triblue's comment above about sailing with Chief and his new AI 2. Triblue said he kept up with Chief going down wind (weight is everything going downwind), but running on a close reach or close hauled, Chief "left me in the dust." Presumably the new centerboard aids sailing closer to the wind. I know Chief, like me, is quite excited about this boat. I'm looking forward to sailing it tomorrow in good winds.

Speaking of dollars to buy an AI 2, my plan had been to have my wife use the 2011 AI--a very nice boat--but I'm already beginning to think she is not going to accept that for long. Probably better to throw in the towel and plan on selling both of our AIs, so we can buy a second AI 2.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:

One of the simple changes, which might go unnoticed by most, is the placement of the cleats which are around the rear cargo area. On the AI, they are placed on the top edge of the cargo space border. They were fine for something like scuba tanks laying in the bottom of the cargo area, but they were not good for strapping things down like dry bags or coolers. On the AI 2, the Hobie engineers have placed them on the side of the hull--more like the cleats on an 18-wheeler. Now it will be easier to safely bungee or strap down larger items in the cargo area. I found the cleats in the older AI inconvenient, but it never dawned on me that a simple change in location could make them much more useful.

I'm looking forward to sailing it tomorrow in good winds.
Keith

I hope you had a great first sail Keith and the new AI is all you hoped it be and more!
Re the cleats- from your comments it sounds like the AI has caught up with the TI.

AI-v1cleat:

TI cleat:

Agreed, the more vertical cleat position is an improvement.

Regardless of the position I found it helpful to add a 6mm stainless eyebolt to the cleat to assist in securing loads etc. Remove the cleat, drill a hole and attach the cut down eyebolt to the cleat, then refit cleat. No holes in hull needed.

Also handy on the drivewell bulkhead:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking forward to an independant review of the seats. There is a pretty reasonable price difference between a new or near new superseded model And the 2015 model.

There is a vast difference in availability :lol:

So it would be good to know if it's worth the wait for the new TI.

Brad

"Kayaking Bob" Spray Skirts
Trampolines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 80  Next