Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys, I am new to the AI. So I don't have first hand experience on AI1 vs AI2.
I can get a used 2013 AI for $2100 , 2015 AI for $4200. Worth the money for all the upgrade on AI2 ?What would you buy ?

Again I don't know how/plan to push the hull to the speed limit anytime soon, I might be though if given enough chance. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seller just offered his used 2013 AI for $2,000. I have until tomorrow noon to confirm.

Anyone can share their thought?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use my '14 AI more in kayak mode for fishing than sailing mode, so I'd prefer the 2013 @ $2100. btw, that's a great price!

For a $2200 difference, I'd jump on it! Be sure to give it a good going over, why's he selling?

Last edited by bjb on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get the 2012 AI and a new Attwood Concentric seat (better than the 2015 Vantage) for $250 or just go right to the TI which you will end up doing anyways.

Edit: Whoops meant 2013, that is a heck of a deal you can't go wrong, can always sell it later, for that price, when you upgrade to a TI.

Last edited by CR Yaker on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you turn down the '13, let me know where it's located! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is nothing wrong with the seat on the previous AI. It's quite good, actually. The newer frame model is simply the latest version as required by consumer demand. It's the latest trend, not a response to anything wrong with the previous seat. You may like it better, or not. But at that price the 2013 AI is a heck of a deal if it's in good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it were me, I'd choose the 2013, add an Atwood seat, TI amas and you can add a jib. Now you have a lighter, faster , more stable and more comfortable boat than the 2015 for a fraction of the price.

Thats what I'd do.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie adventure type boats are an odd breed of boat, people either like them and keep using them more and more (like most of us on this forum, (I personally would not want anything else)). Or they use them a few times then get rid of them.
I think many who really take to the Islands are former kayakers, where these boats are the ultimate kayak platform, the boat is quite probably the ultimate offshore kayak fishing platform, you can go further, in harsher conditions, catch way bigger game fish (guys like Josh bring in marlin and sword fish (intense as it gets). All this plus with the AMA's and sails removed both the Adventure and the Tandem adventure are the top two kayaks that Hobie makes (you get both a great sail boat and a greak kayak all in one).
These boats are by far the most versatile boats on the market today, and they just keep getting better.
We have a 2012 TI and use it often, It's still going strong 3yrs later, and we have no compelling reason to replace it (a pretty compelling testiment to the adventure boats (AI/TI) durability).
All these boats hold their value very well, if you have the oportunity to get a used one in good shape at half the cost of a new one, in my opinion it's a no brainer decision to buy used, use it for a while, then if your interest wanes, sell it (usually break even), alternately if your interest grows and you love it, you can alway sell it and upgrade to a new one later (very little loss if any).
Like I said earlier, not everyone takes to these boats, it would be a shame to fork out big bucks for a new one, then have to get rid of it after using it a couple times (kind of like home treadmills, and gym memberships everyone has the best intentions when starting out, but most are unused after the first couple times). Here in Florida there is a kayak sitting in every other back yard, most have not been touched in two yrs (all were bought with the best intentions).
Personally I know of nothing you can do on a 2016 AI, that can't be done on a 2013 AI, both are extremely capable (bottom line, any AI newer than 2009 is a pretty darn nice boat ( that was about the time Hobie got their mirage drive openings perfected (ie... Drivewell cracks, click and go, etc).
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sold my 2009 AI for $1,800 and bought an AI 2.
Best decision ever!
Loved my AI but the AI 2 is sooo much better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went to check out the kayak. hull in good condition. Then I saw the rudder is the raise-n-stow type, it should be the shark fin rudder for 2013.
Looked up the serial number and it turned out to be 2011 model. He dropped the price to $1,900. Now I told him to hold on and give me a day to think about it.
Is there improvement from 2011 to 2013? Like Mirage drive upgrade, aka bars, ....etc
Is there any problem with 2011 model? I should have asked him for the serial # first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are only minor improvements on the 2013 over the 2011. The drivewell had slots added for the Miragedrive pin guidance system that made inserting the drive easier. Twist lock seat pegs were added 2012 (I think?) but can be retrofitted. I'm not sure when the aka's became anodised but it could have been on the '13 models?
Still, the 2011's had the important upgrades such as the larger stern gudgeon and better reinforced drivewell so if the price is right a 2011 would be fine.
The sharkfin rudder was a free upgrade for that model and the owner should have received it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My one is a 2011 AI.

Twist lock seat pegs are there.
The sharkfin rudder has been installed by the previous owner, that received from Hobie for free.

Regarding the Aka, I don't know if they are anodised or not (if someone can explain how to check I will do).
But to be honest the aka rivets that connect the aka to the bracket came loose after few rides. I fixed that substituting them with inox steel rivets and sealing the joint with 3M marine sealant, I had no more problems with them.

Bye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello tech
as Blasius I also bought a used 2011 AI in which the previous owner already mounted the upgraded rudder system. I suppose changing the rudder could be an interesting upgrade for you. Maybe other users that have experience with the old and the new rudder can help and tell if this upgrade is worth.

The only problem I had with my 2011 AI is the seat. The 2011 peg system just DOESN'T WORK. After few minutes the seat flips away and becomes useless. They changed the pegs in 2012 with a better solution.
The suggestion to but an Attwood seat is therefore a very good one. Unfortunately in Italy those seats are very difficult to find or they costs double, and therefore I will have to build a wooden seat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tech,

I purchased a used 2011 in 2011 and immediately installed the vertical rudder--it was great. I hated the old T-n-S rudder. I've sold that boat, which worked fine for me, and now have an AI 2, which is a tremendous improvement over the 2011 AI. Just my 2 cents..

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon