Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the forum. Live in South Carolina. Picked up a pair of 2019 compasses (Papaya and a Seagrass) this weekend and took them out. Had an absolute blast. Cannot believe how much quicker we got to our destination and barely broke a sweat. About a 10 mile round trip to the island and back to the landing. Did the same trip 2 weeks ago on a pair of 10 foot Perception Pescadors and was physcially exhausted afterwards. Definitely a night and day experience.

One thing that I noticed was that the rudder control is a bit of a pain. It felt awkward as it is low profile. Is there a screw on knob or something that would make it easier to grasp? I am planning on adding the sail kit and the furler to them soon to add to my enjoyment. Any advice on the control knob is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yup! Here's what you need: https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Assy-Steer ... B004CHBM6S
Works great!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw that option, but it looked like it was for the other rudder control arms. I don't see a place to thread it in on the Compass rudder control. Can't find much information on it. Wonder if I would have to tap the threads into the plastic handle?

After adding the sail kit and furler to my boats, i use the rudder a good bit more than when i was just using the mirage drive alone, so this would be a great help on my tired old hands.

K

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my 2019 Compass and this is one thing that I disliked. The super low profile rudder handle took some getting used to.
I was thinking of some way to change or clamp a longer and slightly higher profile handle. Also was thinking of a way to rig up a second control on the right side...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

joeg26er wrote:
I just got my 2019 Compass and this is one thing that I disliked. The super low profile rudder handle took some getting used to.
I was thinking of some way to change or clamp a longer and slightly higher profile handle. Also was thinking of a way to rig up a second control on the right side...

Please let me know if you rig up a second control. I’d like to do the same for fishing but not exactly sure of how to do this.

Thank you.