Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Last year I installed some handles on the Oasis and really like them. Here is a link: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7577

There are situations however, where they might not be the best option due to obstructions or hull access. Such is the case with my friend Josh's Classic. Here we installed a pair of "Bow/Stern" handles (pn 76050001) on the seat strap pad-eyes.

They serve double duty as grips when pedaling and amidship lift handles (there are no molded-in handles on the Classic or Oasis). I like them -- just as a paddler's strength supposedly originates with the legs, the pedaler's power optimally could originate with the arms, transferring through the shoulders, down through the torso and exiting at the feet! As ridiculous as it sounds, I think the straps actually support the pedaling effort to some degree. In any event, many of us like to have something to hang onto -- these grips are quite comfortable and much better than hanging onto the seat straps!!

Here are some pics:

You can install these anyplace you see (or can mount) a pad-eye. If you're looking for a grip alternative, give these a try! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great idea Roadrunner, thanks.

This also brings up a cool way to judge the efficiency of the Mirage Drive -- and turn your Hobie into a universal gym. Here's how:

If you rig a pair of handles to the pedals using ropes or cord, you can use your upper body in conjunction with pedalling. It's a total body workout! There are two ways to do this:

(1) Attach the left handle to the left pedal, and visa versa. Pull back the right pedal with the right handle while your left leg moves the left pedal forward, etc.

(2) Then try crossing-over the lines (left handle to right pedal, etc) for a more natural "walking" movement. Pull right pedal backwards with LEFT hand while pushing left pedal forwards with LEFT leg, etc. A problem with the cross-over method is that the lines tend to rub against each other at the "x" and eventually fray there -- but I've found spectra cord lasts longer than rope.

To illustrate how powerful your legs are compared to your upper body -- now take your feet off the pedals and try "hand-pedaling" using the handles only (not your legs). Ummph -- it takes much more effort to move the fins with your upper body than it does with your legs. The two fins displace more water in tandem on each stroke than either end of a paddle blade could, but your legs are built to handle the extra effort required. Nice.

Now, use your arms and legss in conjunction again, get up to speed and then let go of the handles. Notice the added effort required of your legs to maintain speed. This illustrates the assistance your upper body was providing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for another very useful mod RR :)
I can vouch for the strength of these handles.
(Any officials from Hobie don't bother reading on :wink: )
We came across a couple in a tandem similar to ours being towed up river by a tinnie. I was shocked at the stupidity of this. They stopped for lunch and I was able to get some info. They had removed the drives and taped up the drivewells with duct tape. The tow rope was just wrapped around the bow handle. He told me they had been towed 36km and reached a top speed of 20km/h on his GPS. The handle and padeye showed no damage.
At planing speed the boat was very stable. She reported that for once it was a very dry ride in the front but that he was soaked in the rear. :lol:
The pics have been edited to protect the guilty.

PS-An interesting idea conservation 101 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

That's a very familiar looking set of wheels riding on that Hobie! Pretty impressive tow! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

D'OH!!
:)
BTW Roadrunner -great pic of your submarine preparing to dive over on KFS!
The position of the ball in the speedo-now that is impressive! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:20 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I have it permanently glued there for all forum pictures! Don't tell anyone and I won't say anything about the wheels. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Conservation, I like your idea of the hand pedal pulls. They were quick and easy to slip on or store in the seat pouch. I tried it out both ways yesterday and was getting some leg rubbing either way if the legs were kept straight. I'll work on my technique more. All we need now is a head controlled rudder!

I might try running them forward with blocks to redirect the lines outboard and then back to clear the legs, although I think the rearward pull would be much less stressful to the drive and drivewell. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a little water scooter that can get me to the different flats that I want to fish on. But I was considering the ways that I could get my yak out there.
Some body told me that towing could be bad for the yak. So I did not consider it any more. Please tell me all the different pros and cons about towing a Hobie Outback. Thanks :D
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Conservation, intrigued by your idea but wouldnt paddling whilst pedalling provide you with more of an upper body workout whilst retaining a degree of steering control at the same time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Philip1el:

Yes, paddling will help with steering control, especially if using the amsll stock rudder rather than the Sailing Rudder.

Paddling and peddling simultaneously does work well at low surface speeds for a low-resistance total body workout. But when you get up to speed (about 4 mph or so, depending on the kayak model), the upper body workout diminishes because the paddle is not able to move much water -- there's little resistance on the paddle blades since the water is "moving by" already at a fairly good clip due to pedaling.

Using handles to pull the pedals allows a higher-resistance upper-body workout at higher boat speeds.