Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone.
Would really appreciate if someone can help me solve this issue on a 2017 TI. On my first trip ever in my brand new TI, the steering knobs suddenly became slack, and got more and more slack until it was difficult to steer. Had full movement on the rudder, but had to turn steering knob more and more to port or starboard to engage the rudder, until it was over 90 degrees off center while at full rudder. Have not had time to look at the lines inside the hull yet.
Someone has an idea what the problem is, and how to fix it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Line tension is done at the rudder head. Left and right steering lines end at a port and starboard screw. These may have slipped from rudder loads. One key is to keep the rudder all the way down hard. Pull the down line hard and cleat it there. If this slips while sailing... take sailing loads off the rudder (sheet out or head up) then pull and cleat again. If the rudder slips aft in the housing you get progressively more load (weather helm) at the steering handles (tillers).

Place the steering handles in the middle of their range of motion. (Typically 20-30 degrees inboard) This is not pointing straight forward. Loosen the control lines at the the rudder... Move the rudder to the center position and tension the lines again.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Line tension is done at the rudder head. Left and right steering lines end at a port and starboard screw. These may have slipped from rudder loads. One key is to keep the rudder all the way down hard. Pull the down line hard and cleat it there. If this slips while sailing... take sailing loads off the rudder (sheet out or head up) then pull and cleat again. If the rudder slips aft in the housing you get progressively more load (weather helm) at the steering handles (tillers).

Place the steering handles in the middle of their range of motion. (Typically 20-30 degrees inboard) This is not pointing straight forward. Loosen the control lines at the the rudder... Move the rudder to the center position and tension the lines again.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf

Thank you for quick response Matt. It was quite obvious when I looked at the rudder head. I just had not tightened the screws enough, because I was afraid to damage the line.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rudder lines will be much less likely to slip if you lead the line a full 360 degrees around the locking screw. The friction of the line on itself will not require as much tension on the screw.