Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mirage Tandem Island
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Out of the box, what does a new Mirage Tandem Island come with?

Me and my Wife saw the pedal drive kayaks at an RV show, we had no idea something like this existed. We were disappointed when we tried out regular kayaks before, where the paddles get you wet as your rowing. We thought we were doing something wrong, but people with experience kayaking we talked to said no, this is how it is. The peddle kayaks are a game changer for us. Recently we rented a Compass Duo kayak and it's definitely something we want to buy. The Mirage Tandem Island has a lot of appeal for us, basically a boat with a sail at a price we can afford.

Anyway, were are trying to get an idea of cost for what we need. Without getting into specifics of pricing, we know we would need the at least the following.

Mirage Tandem Island
Hobie Tandem Island Trailer
Hobie Tandem Island Cradle Set
Hobie Island Trampoline Set

Looking at other websites, I saw a parts list, one was a "Hobie Adventure Island Sail Bag", I would assume a sail bag would be included with the kayak, but it it's not, this is something we have to add to our list of what we would initially need. Can someone tell us what is included with the Mirage Tandem Island excluding of course the kayak, sail and ama outriggers.

Another question we have is the width is always listed with the ama folded in or out, are they required for stability without the using the sail? If we just wanted to use the kayak with the pedals can it be without the ama's? If it can be used without the ama's, how wide is the boat. This information would also be useful for winter storage, as the access door to our basement crawl space is only so wide.

While I guess any trailer would do for most people, the Hobie Tandem Island Trailer with an assembled width: 52" is perfect for us. It would allow us to fit the trailer into our back yard without crossing the property line with neighbor which we have had issues with in the past, we have 60 inches between the our house and the boundary line.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What you need to buy are 2x pfd (personal floting device)

You can use your ti as a kayak without the ama’s/aka’s
Can’t tell wat is inclusieve a new ti because that can be diffrent in my country
Can’t tell how wide the ava is because i have a ai

Aspect to get whet when you sail, this is normal

I know i made typo’s but english is not my first or second language

Have fun on the water

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We just got a new 2023 TI a month or so ago. The sail bag is included, and there's also a bag for the akas (though I haven't used that yet, I just leave them installed.)

Around here (Wisconsin) we couldn't find a dealer who had both the trailer cradles and the trampolines. We went with the one who had the cradles, and I'm working on a pair of haka benches instead of tramps.

You don't necessarily need the Hobie brand trailer. Any small boat trailer will do as long as you install the cradles the correct distance apart. Check with your local dealers, ours installed the cradles on a Genesis trailer for us and it's been working out just fine.

If you're storing it outside, you'll want some kind of cover to keep the sun off. A basic 6x20' tarp works great.

Just went out and measured, and my TI's main hull (vaka, if we want to keep up the Polynesian terminology) is 31" wide. You can definitely use them with just the pedals and no amas or sail. It's heavier than a comparable tandem kayak that can't sail, so possibly not as fast, but it's quite serviceable. I find that with the pedals I can go at a steady pace for longer than I can with arms and paddle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone tell me how high the hull is, I'm trying to figure out mounting solutions for garage storage. The My garage is 24 feet ling and the garage door eats up 9 feet of that space, leaving me with only 15 feet to work with. The garage door is within 6 inches of the ceiling when rolled up, so the TI will have to be mounted on the ceiling just under where the garage door rolls up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Length is 18'6". Hull height, stripped, is about 12". If you leave seats attached, but folded down, its about 18".
Here's a link to the Hobie site. Click on "specs" to see all the details:

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-tandem-island/