Maintenance Technician - Weekend Shift
FLSA: Overtime Eligible
Starting Pay: Depends on Experience
Hours: Thursday – Sunday 6am – 4:30pm
Since 1950, Hobie has been in the business of shaping a unique lifestyle based around fun, water, and quality products. From our headquarters in Oceanside, CA, we manufacture and distribute an impressive collection of watercrafts, including kayaks, standup paddleboards, catamarans, and inflatables, for world-wide distribution. Hobie has a passionate water-sport oriented team of employees with a culture of innovation and maintaining the highest quality standards in the industry.
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for the overall maintenance and upkeep of the ovens and oven area which includes preventative maintenance, reactive maintenance, and equipment performance of the molding area. This role will work alongside the Oven Operators and Oven Supervisor to ensure high quality production, following up on and learning from scrapped kayaks, with the goal of reducing waste. This role will need to work autonomously, effectively managing their time and directing their own work, but must have a team player mentality. To be successful in this role, they are required to work with several team members to ensure equipment uptime & quality.
We are looking for someone that has a strong mechanical knowledge and ability to work on electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems. This position will have regular support and training from the Maintenance Manager and a specialized contractor with over 20 years of experience. All tools and repair parts will be supplied by Hobie.
- Produce a High-Quality Product, Efficiently with minimal waste.
- Refine and document molding recipes as needed to produce consistent parts.
- Continuous improvement of ovens, working towards creating a universal standard in all ovens to have the ability to produce all models of kayaks in all ovens.
- Document reasons for scrapped products to gain learnings, detailed documentation of problems and solutions.
- Work quickly to troubleshoot and resolve production issues with minimal downtime.
- Provide weekly updates on maintenance, efficiencies and scrap rates to Maintenance Manager.
Maintenance and Performance of Ovens
- Develop and perform a preventative maintenance schedule without creating production downtime.
- Log preventative maintenance, repairs, parts, costs associated.
- Perform needed repairs and upkeep.
- Order parts and track inventory of spare parts.
- Maintain and repair chain hoist pendants.
- Take pride in the condition of ovens, keeping ovens and pit areas clean and tidy.
- Always follow Hobie safety protocol, including, but not limited to ‘Lock Out / Tag Out”.
- May need to adjust working hours to service or repair ovens outside of peak operating hours as well as being on call after hours to respond to oven related emergencies.
- Properly handle and dispose of all hazardous waste material, following company protocols for such materials.
- Relevant work history
- Self-starter with the ability to work unsupervised.
- Time management skills with a sense of urgency.
- A working knowledge of Hydraulic and Pneumatic systems.
- Experience working with gas ovens and related components.
- Experience working with, troubleshooting, and repairing equipment electrical systems (preferably up to 480 volts)
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience with welding, power tools and their associated safety procedures.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work independently.
- Good communication skills, cooperation, and interpersonal skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The position involves standing, walking and for long periods of time throughout the day. Must be able to lift 50lbs, heavier lifting may require 2-person rule or use of lifting equipment. Consideration will be given to make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Overtime is accrued after the 10th hour of work in a day. Schedule: Thursday through Sunday 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (subject to change as production needs change).
About the Company
Hobie Cat Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.