FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: M-Th 6am – 5pm
Since 1950, Hobie has been in the business of shaping a unique lifestyle based around fun, water, and innovative products. From our headquarters in Oceanside, CA, we design, manufacture and distribute an impressive collection of watercrafts, including kayaks, standup paddleboards, catamarans, and inflatables, for world-wide distribution. We are looking for a Sr. Design Engineer to help us with our mission of igniting the world’s passion for fun on the water and lead us into a new category with electrically propelled products.
Our Sr. Design Engineer will design for the in-house and outsourced manufacturing of our recreational products based on engineering calculations and analysis, including the electrical and mechanical design. This role will focus on developing electrically propelled products in collaboration with fellow Design Engineers. This role will partner with purchasing and suppliers to establish quality assurance controls to maintain high manufacturing reliability. This role will also create technical documents, including user manuals and be responsible for creating product concepts and refining through prototype fabrication, using manual techniques and 3D printing technologies.
What You'll Do
- Help lead Hobie into a new category with electrically propelled products using the latest technology.
- Collaborate with engineering team, supply chain, sales, marketing and manufacturing
- Draw and create engineering prints and other schematics needed
- Create test prototypes and perform physical testing on prototypes
- Research and track prototype performance and reactions
- Develop and implement design strategies
- Prepare documentations, such as testing protocols and manuals
- Organize plans and create schedules
- Review and oversee manufacturing of designs
- Make recommendations and implement solutions to improve production efficiency
- Ensure components and assemblies adhere to applicable industry and business standards
- Research new materials and methods of development
- Qualify and train domestic and international manufacturing partners
What You Bring to the Table
- Engineering Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent, preferably in Mechatronics
- At least 5 years’ experience in electrical engineering
- Ocean engineering
- Experience designing for lithium batteries, blue tooth integration, digital display design and sleek user interfaces
- Expérience designing control systems and programming
- Experience designing electric propulsion, electric circuits, motors, batteries applied to mechanical design
- Ideal candidate would have ocean engineering and/or watersport background
- Experience with CAD and other engineering analysis tools.
- Experience with prototyping, including machining, fabrication, composites and 3D printing.
- Experience sourcing and designing parts and accessories for production
What We Offer
- Competitive Salary
- 4x10 schedule
- Relocation Assistance
- Incentive Program
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Life Insurance
- 401k Matching
- Paid Time Off
- Generous Employee Discount
About the Company
Hobie Cat Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.